Friday, August 24, 2012

Sweet Potato Rounds - Pinterest Find!

Hungry Husband has been on a sweet potato kick for awhile now, so I finally broke down and bought some. I have never cooked with sweet potatoes before, but mashed potatoes and fries were requested. So I went to Pinterest to find the best recipes. And boy did that pay off. 

This pinned recipe came from Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog. The easy recipe and simple ingredients that I already had in the kitchen made this one the winner. I was a little unsure if they would turn out or if the seasoning would taste ok. I made my husband try them before I did because I was too scared! Luckily, he LOVED them. Definitely glad this recipe was the one I chose because Hungry Husband and I ate up the entire batch! Given, I only used 1 sweet potato instead of 3, but still. Scrumptious. 


INGREDIENTS:
3 large sweet potatoes or yams
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place two rimmed baking sheets in the oven while it preheats and while you prepare the potatoes (about 10 minutes). Peel the potatoes and slice the potatoes into about 1/4- to 1/2-inch strips or wedges. Try to keep most of the pieces the same size so they bake evenly.
Place the potato strips/wedges in a ziploc bag or bowl. Toss the potatoes with the oil. Add the seasonings and mix until the potatoes are evenly coated.
Carefully remove the hot baking sheets from the oven and divide the potatoes evenly among the two sheets, taking care the potatoes are not touching so they have plenty of room for the air circulate to circulate and bake evenly. Also, try to leave any excess oil in the bag or bowl so the potatoes don’t get too soggy while they bake.
Bake the potatoes for about 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through, if desired, until they are tender and well-browned. Serve immediately.
I found it easier to just slice up the sweet potato to make it a little easier, and it worked great! They turned out to be little sweet potato chips. If you like yours a little crunchier, definitely use thinner slices. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment