Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tokyo Joes Chicken

Some people, like hungry husband, are not a fan of Tokyo Joe's. But I love it. And having just moved to Texas, I've discovered that Tokyo Joe's is a Colorado restaurant. I didn't know this when I lived there, but it is "Colorado grown, Colorado owned". Bummer. I have craved many things from back home since moving and have started to try and recreate some of my favorite dishes (thank GOD there is a Chipotle here).

So here is my rendition of my favorite Tokyo Joe's meal...Teriyaki Chicken Bowl

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3-4)
Brown or white rice
Assorted veggies (I use a frozen medley)
1/4 C. Soy Sauce
1 C. Water
1/2 tsp. ground ginger (I use a little less, it's pretty strong)
1/4 tst. garlic powder (I use more, I just love garlic)
5 Tbls. packed brown sugar
1-2 Tbls. Honey
2 Tbls. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water

Season chicken breasts with salt/pepper/garlic powder, whatever you prefer, and steam. 10 minutes on side, slice each breast twice, then flip to other side for 15 minutes. Once done, cut into bite size pieces.

While the chicken is steaming, mix soy sauce, water, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and honey in a sauce pan and begin heating. Add cornstarch mix. Heat until sauce thickens. I like mine pretty thick, between a syrup and honey consistency.

Serve chicken over top rice and veggies. Use sauce liberally.

Tastes pretty similar to the restaurant's dish, so this will definitely do until I can get back to Colorado!

No comments:

Post a Comment